Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Snips, Snails and Puppy Dog Tails

While I have a lot to catch up on, I think we should go with order of importance rather than chronological order. We had our ultrasound on Monday and found out we're having a boy! We didn't find out the gender of our other two kids until their delivery, and I have to say after having tried it both ways that waiting until the delivery is definitely my preferred method. I've always heard (generally from people who have never tried waiting), "It's still a surprise. You just get to be surprised a little earlier." But I thought Monday was a rather anticlimactic...probably more practical because now I can do more to prepare for the little guy (a.k.a. spend more money), but definitely not as fun or exciting. I know all you Polly Planners think I'm crazy, but...oh forget it, I probably am!

The kids really wanted to know what we were having. Cianne's already the perfect pleaser middle child. Originally, she said that she wanted a girl so she would have someone to play babies with her because if it was a boy, all it would want to do is play Wii. But when the tech asked her what she wanted, she said, "I'm going to wait to tell you." Then when it was announced we're having a boy, Cianne exclaimed with large hand gestures, "That's what I wanted!" Later she explained, "I don't like playing babies that much anyway." Sweet girl. I'm sure she'll mother this baby to no end; he'll become her own living baby doll.

We couldn't get a look at the baby at first, so I got up to go the bathroom to see if we could get the little sucker to move around. Ben gave the kids a brief anatomy lesson while I was in the potty when they asked how we would be able to tell if it was a boy or girl. When the ultrasound tech came back in the room, Corben filled her in that if it's a boy, it would have a pee-pee just like him and his dad. Haha! Cianne was completely fascinated by the fact that the baby is "maked" (naked) in my tummy. She asked again later just to clarify, "It doesn't have any clothes on in there?!"

Ben is especially relieved it's another boy. We've received lots of congratulations that we only have one wedding to finance now (nevermind the three college tuitions that remain). So now we know his gender, but we still have to wait five months to meet the little dude. I don't know if it will come fast enough. And I have no idea if we'll be able to settle on a name before time's up. The monogrammer in me desperately wants to start personalizing everything in sight for the little guy, but honestly, Ben and I just aren't very good at naming children. It's very stressful! Who knows if we can reach common ground in five months?!

On a serious note before I sign off from this eternal post, thank you, Lord, that this baby appears to be healthy. I don't take that for granted for one moment. While there are still so many risks and unknowns about our baby, this pregnancy, and the delivery, I put it completely in Your hands. I trust in your power, mercy, and sovereignty for whatever lies ahead in the coming days, months, and years. Use me as Your vessel to carry out Your will for this precious baby boy.

12 comments:

Gavan said...

Yea, it's a boy! Congrats!
-Melody

Kelly T said...

Congrats on boy #2! We didn't find out what we were having with Will, and I agree with you that waiting is more exciting.

We still haven't named our new little boy. We have three months and I don't know if we'll ever decide before we see him. I feel your pain.

Kayla said...

I want to know what you think about it AFTER you have the baby. You still may prefer waiting to know the sex, but you can't really know until after you've delivered!!! It's still so stinkin exciting wondering what he'll look like, and being so excited to hold him and start calling him by his name, etc. It's like getting suprised twice instead of just once!!? Ha. But, I've never waited of course...

Anna said...

Congratulations on another baby boy! And don't worry too much about his name, the perfect one will come. Levi was a day old before he had a name :)

Summer said...

I'll put my Mom on the naming job. She loves to come up with names for anyone, whether they want her to or not.

So far she and I like Clive, Cline, Calvin, Cain

But it is your child so i will try and remember to keep my mouth shut.

Nicole said...

Congratulations on another sweet boy, Sada! I'm sure he will be sooo cute, just like Corben and Cianne.

Damon and Amy said...

Yea, a boy! So happy for you and I love Cianne's comment :)

The 5 Arbuckle's said...

Congrats on another boy. I didn't find out with any of our kids what we were going to have. Bill did find out when we had Jemma.

Kelli said...

Congrats! How exciting to have another boy!

Okay, so to weigh in on the finding out vs. waiting. We found out with the 1st and waited on the 2nd. I am the opposite not knowing the sex didn't make it any more exciting for me...so we found out with #3.

Gena said...

Ooh, I like Calvin too. We are so excited for you guys!

Lisa said...

Congrats on another boy! Hopefully he'll save you some money on accesories, but I'm sure you'll still find ways to "dress him up"! :o)
I definitely agree with you on the waiting to find out the gender! We've done it both ways, and I would definitely prefer to wait until delivery! So much more fun that way!

Micah and Tara Hobbs said...

So excited for you guys!! Your kids are so precious! We are struggling with names too. We actually like Calvin a lot, but it really does not seem fair to name our kid Calvin Hobbs. Seems a little to close to cartoo characters that I cannot stand. :-)