Friday, June 4, 2010

I suppose I should be flattered

Edmond has an awesome public library.  As long as I can remember, they've had a summer reading program to encourage kids to read.  I've always been a book nerd (emphasis on the word "nerd").  When I was a kid, I would max out the number of books you could check out at a time--we're talking like 30 books every two weeks!  I would read, swim, and then read some more all summer long.  Then when I was a teenager, I volunteered at the library for the summer program.

So I was feeling a little nostalgic as I approached the table to sign up my own to kids this week.  I'm standing in the children's line with my four- and five-year olds in tow, when the kid running the teenage sign-up line waves me over to his side.  I think, "Oh, good he's going to help us over there so we don't have to keep waiting."  But no!  He thinks I'm there to sign up myself.  When he realized that I wasn't there for me, he hollered at a fellow volunteer to help us sort out which card we needed to fill out for C & C, and then she comes over and hands me a teen card too!  I know that should be flattering, but I find it more on the ridiculous side that I'm days away from my 30th birthday, pregnant, dragging around two preschoolers at the library, and they both think I'm still a nerdy teenage reader.  I just had to laugh.

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

Oh girl! You should be flattered! Maybe they thought you were babysitting! I've got to get my kiddos signed up next week when we get home!

Nicole said...

I second what Alyssa said...be flattered! I get mistaken for any age between 16 and 34. Talk about being blessed with a curse.