Thursday, June 10, 2010

Pride Cometh Before a Fall

So last week, I decided that I should be grateful that with a ponytail and tank top I can still be mistaken for under 20.  Only two days later, I was brought back to reality.  We had a funeral for my great uncle last week in Wagoner, OK.  As I got out of my car at the cemetery, an older man walked up to me and sadly greeted me.  I didn't recognize him, but that's not uncommon at large gatherings of extended family.  He then asked, "How are you doing, Jolynn?"  I told him I was actually Sada, Jolynn's oldest daughter, and he looked like he had just seen a ghost (maybe also heightened by the fact we're at a cemetery).  He stared at me with wide eyes and just said, "No..."  I assured him that yes, I am not my 50-something mother, but I am her not-yet-thirty-year-old daughter.  He slowly processes the information and followed with, "Then I don't know you."  Awkward...

If I had a dollar for every time I heard "You look just like your mother," my husband could retire.  Good thing I like her...A LOT.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Both of you are wonderful women I am blessed to know and call friend!

Alyssa said...

You've got good genes. So when you are 50ish you will still look 30ish. And when you FINALLY turn 30 you will still look 20!

Anonymous said...

I love you more and I love your friends comments.

Queen of Cakes said...

Oh so true! love it!

Gena said...

Well Sada, I'd say Ben should be very pleased you're going to look like your mom. Not only that, but that you've got her same sweet spirit and heart for God. That's my favorite part.