Friday, October 30, 2009

Change in Weekend Plans

Many of you know that I had plans to travel to Guatemala this weekend to sing with my siblings at a national youth conference. Well, there was an abrupt turn of events last night before midnight, just hours before our scheduled departure. The first leg of our flight from OKC to Houston was cancelled by Continental Airlines. They automatically rescheduled us on a flight for Sunday, but that really defeats the purpose for Addi and I since the youth conference ends on Sunday and since we were scheduled to return to the States on Monday. As it turns out, they had overbooked the flight into Guatemala City by 22 people! And after a few hours of trying to make alternative arrangements, the good folks coordinating our travel decided it just wasn't possible to get the Herndons there in time for this weekend's event.

I'm sad and shocked after planning this trip for months. I'm fighting off feelings of frustration toward Continental Airlines, but I know it's really not about them. We have prayed so much about safe travel and for our purpose in Guatemala that I have to believe God's in control. Perhaps this is His protection for us to keep us home at this time. So I'm trying to just let go of my disappointment and be ready for His next opportunity.

I guess today I'll be unpacking and praying a lot. Thanks for your prayers and encouragement leading up to this weekend.

3 comments:

Summer said...

Oh Sada. I am so sorry. That must be very disapointing and frustrating. I am praying for peace for your family and everyone in Guatemala who was looking forward to it.

Tonya Tuggle said...

Sada, I am so so sorry. I will call you this week. You are in my prayers. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know that must be frustrating. Sometimes it's hard to change your train of thought when you've been looking forward to something for so long. It sounds like you all are handling the disappointment well. Thinking of you all.